Hot Tickets for Spring Season Events at the NCEM
The National Centre for Early Music (NCEM), York, presents a bright new programme of concerts and events from February through to June featuring the very best in jazz, world, folk and early music.
During this action-packed spring and summer season £10 tickets are available for seven specially selected concerts: SambaSunda Quintet (19 February, 7.30pm), Get The Blessing (23 March, 7.30pm), Double Duo (14 April, 7.30pm), Jonathan Gee & Larry Bartley (22 April, 4.00pm), Kate Williams & Bobby Wellins (20 May, 4.00pm), Julaba Kunda (7 June, 7.30pm) and Joe Stilgoe (24 June, 4.00pm).
Delma Tomlin, Director of the NCEM says: "The NCEM provides a fantastic setting in which audiences of all ages can engage with some of the world's finest musicians across a wide array of music. We are looking forward to seeing familiar faces and welcoming new audiences and have a tremendous line up of artists over the next few months. Our jazz programme continues to offer the popular Sunday afternoon slots and features Kate Williams, daughter of John Williams, and Joe Stilgoe, son of Richard Stilgoe, and the extraordinary musicians Martin Taylor and Alan Barnes who come together for the first time as part of a new tour.
"Folk lovers can relish the opportunity to welcome back Aly Bain & Phil Cunningham and the Jenna Reid Trio, and new acts including Gary Hammond (from the Beautiful South) and Sam Pirt with The Hut People and Kris Drever and Eamonn Coyne.
"We have joined forces with 'Making Tracks' again to offer a chance to hear some of the world's finest world music musicians - SambaSunda Quintet from Indonesia and Double Duo featuring musicians from Italy, Palestine and Iraq."
▪ Aly Bain & Phil Cunningham - quite simply the best Scottish traditional musicians around, winners of the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards - Best Duo, these highly entertaining virtuoso musicians guarantee an evening of stunning accordion and fiddle playing with some gripping humour for good measure.
Monday 26 March, 7.30pm. Tickets £16.00 / Conc £14.00 Box Office t: 01904 658338)
▪ The Hut People - Sam Pirt (from The Pack, 422) and Gary Hammond (from The Beautiful South) are gaining a reputation as one of the most entertaining and unusual folk acts around. They perform a high-octane blend of self-penned tunes mixed with British, Nordic and European folk music. Gary's dazzling array of exotic percussion and Sam's driving accordion and occasional foot drumming and step dancing may appear an unlikely instrumental combination, but it works brilliantly, thanks to their combination of musical virtuosity, exuberant good humour and a total commitment to getting listeners involved.
Tuesday 24 April, 7.30pm. Tickets £12.00 / Conc £10.00 Box Office t: 01904 658338
▪ Martin Taylor & Alan Barnes - in this inspired pairing, world-class guitarist
Martin Taylor meets multi award-winning reeds man Alan Barnes. Taylor is known for his long association with Stephane Grappelli and highly successful solo career and Barnes is regarded as Britain's number one mainstream reeds player. On their new album - Two for the Road, in which Barnes concentrates solely on clarinet, the repertoire is wide-ranging and unusual and is complemented by two catchy and accessible originals from the pen of each player.
Sunday 13 May, 7.30pm. Tickets £16.00 / Conc £14.00 Box Office t: 01904 658338
▪ The Eduardo Niebla Experience - My Gypsy Waltz - a spellbinding evening of passion, verve and fleet fingered virtuosity from one of the most potent forces in flamenco jazz fusion. The internationally renowned guitar duo of Eduardo Neibla and Carl Herring are guaranteed to offer up a stunning display of flamenco jazz guitar.
Friday 22 June, 7.30pm. Tickets £15.00 / Conc £13.00 / Students £5.00
Box Office t: 01904 658338
For information about all concerts this season, visit www.ncem.co.uk. High res images are available for all concerts.
Shona Galletly, on behalf of National Centre for Early Music
t: 0113 255 1308
m: 07813 796 733
1. The NCEM is supported by City of York Council and Arts Council England, Yorkshire.
2. NCEM Spring/Summer 2012 Diary of Events are available at www.ncem.co.uk
Box Office 01904 658338.